Additional Map Resources
In addition to our downloadable maps, TWDB offers interactive maps with which the user can search for data, turn data layers on and off, and otherwise manipulate the map data. ArcIMS map services are available for viewing.
State Agency Links
- Texas Natural Resources Information System (TNRIS) - TNRIS, a division of the Texas Water Development Board, is the state's clearinghouse for natural resources data. TNRIS serves as a distribution center for U.S. Geological Survey maps and has numerous other map collections available for in-house use or reproduction, including an impressive collection of historical aerial imagery. Digital data available through TNRIS pertain to natural resources, Census, and other spatial data.
- Texas Strategic Mapping Program - Texas-based cost-sharing program to produce, maintain, and enhance digital geographic data layers in partnership with other public and private sector entities. Much of the base cartographic data used by TWDB originates from StratMap.
- Water Information Integration and Dissemination (WIID) System - A four-year program utilizing internet-based mapping technology to significantly improve internal and external access to water-related data. The first phase of the WIID focuses on internal data integration and development of web-based access to critical information.
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) - GIS data, maps, and map services are offered by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) - Maps and Apps.
- Texas General Land Office (TGLO) - GIS maps at the GLO provides more than 100 GIS data layers to employees and the public. The agency is also developing desktop and online applications that will combine GIS datasets containing leasing information. GIS data is available for downloading from their website.
- Border Colonia Geography Online -- Office of the Attorney General (OAG) - Created and maintains an extensive Colonia Geographic Database for the border region. The database stores accurate geographic and descriptive data on over 1,800 colonias areas in 29 border area counties.
- Texas Legislative Council (TLC) - Provides an excellent resource for accessing current redistricting plans. Users can also directly access REDViewer, which allows visitors to interactively create maps.
Federal Agency Links
- United States Geologic Survey (USGS) - Mapping - Represents a massive spatial data resource, acting as a portal to numerous geographic data servers, hardcopy and digital maps, GIS data, and online map services.
- GEONet Names Server (GNS) - Provides access to the National Imagery and Mapping Agency's (NIMA) database of foreign geographic feature names. The database is the official repository of foreign place-name decisions approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (US BGN). Approximately 20,000 of the database's features are updated monthly.
- U.S. Census Bureau - Offers the commonly-used TIGER data, as well as other mapping resources such as the Census 2000 map series, boundary GIS data files, and online Census mapping engines.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - The NOS Data Explorer provides access to images and data from a number of National Ocean Service (NOS) offices. Available data includes coastal aerial photography, low resolution nautical charts, coastal survey maps, environmental sensitivity index atlases, hydrographic survey outlines, historical maps, and water level station data.
Other GIS Links
- GIS Data Depot - One of the largest free geo-spatial data repositories on the web. Download geospatial data products, or order data bundles and custom data products, delivered to you and custom written on CD-ROM.